Thursday, October 25, 2007

22 October 2007: The Taji Routine

Yet another uneventful, unspectacular day in Taji… I’ve been here long enough for there to be a noticeable routine. My morning begins around 0700 daily. After getting ready, I normally hit the DFAC around 0800. I leave breakfast and walk across the street to the PX, where I buy another cup of “Seattle’s Best” coffee at the Cinnabon. There are two Josephines who’ve been working the ID-check at the gate I go through to enter the PX compound. I hadn’t noticed it was the same soldiers until today. As I came to the gate one of them said, “Sir, you come here at the same time every day.” I just laughed and said, “I guess my coffee fix is a routine requirement.” After I bought my coffee they both said, “Sir, we’ll see you tomorrow!”

I can’t really say that anything else of significance happened today. My team just kept up the steady drumbeat of work. The units we’re supporting are extremely happy and are already begging me to keep my team here an extra couple of days. I may be able to do that. For once, we’re not sandwiched right up to a follow-on mission. Were it not for the oil mud, Taji wouldn’t be half bad. I can’t complain about the freshly sliced melons and pineapples in the DFAC. That’s a nice touch.

No comments: