Tuesday, October 2, 2007

29-30 September 2007: From Kuwait to Providence

As you know, I would normally report each day individually. In essence I still am. The past two days have been one continuous adventure. It's an experience that Joes go through every day. It's the R&R flight home. I just completed mine. Here's an overview of the journey.

I woke up on the morning of the 29th still at Ali Al Salem "Band Camp" Air Base. After breakfast I walked to the R&R tent for the 0730 update. The place was completely full of Joes who'd be traveling with me. After roll call we were all handed our flight itineraries. This was the follow-on flight itinerary to my home of record. The R&R bird only flew to Atlanta and then on to Dallas. I needed a flight from Atlanta to Providence. My itinerary looked good. Our next "hard time" was to be back at the R&R tent for 1145. That gave me just enough time to find the MWR internet cafe and let everyone know the latest update on my travel. Once I completed that mission I wandered the PX, continued to marvel at the Kuwait follies, and gathered my gear for the trip.

Once we returned to the R&R tent we went into "lock down." We were filed through customs to have all our bags searched for contraband. Once cleared through customs we entered a sterile area. This area had several big air-conditioned tents, latrines, and food. It looked like a small prison compound. We were not allowed to leave the compound. It was around 1300 when we'd all cleared customs so we would now wait until time to load the buses for the trip to Kuwait City International Airport. We waited for several hours. During that time I read my book. The TV was on AFN Movie and there was a parade of boring movies - "Batman Forever", "Minority Report", and something else that was totally lame. I'm not certain why none of the Joes didn't change the channel to AFN Sports. Our food was a choice of either a packaged meal, pizza hut, or Green Beans. I chose the package meal because it was free. This concoction (not to be confused with an MRE) consisted of a can of Del Monte fruit cocktail, a small can of Pringles, a bag of cookies, some kind of fruit juice, a bun tightly wrapped with a silica bag, and a can of a pasty beef BBQ-style mystery meat. It was less than appetizing. However, it was free.

Finally, around 1830, we formed up outside. The chaplain said a prayer. Then we loaded on the buses for the trip to KCI. The buses drove straight out to the flight line to a waiting MD11 aircraft run by World Air. I was very impressed at how quickly the plane was loaded. By 2130 we were in the air. The plane was full. Most of the Joes were on their way to R&R. There were also a few individuals redeploying or on emergency leave. We didnt' fly straight to Atlanta. Instead, we made a four and a half hour trip to Liepzig, Germany. Once there we off-loaded so the plane could refuel and crew change could take place. I guess we were on the ground about two hours. The Liepzig terminal has a special section for the R&R Joes. Inside we found pay-internet kiosks, pay phones, restrooms, and a gift shop. The gift shop was a tease. Because of General Order One, we aren't allowed to buy, possess, or consume alcohol. For R&R, GO1 applies as long as we are traveling. Well... For some reason the Germans running the gift shop have it completely stocked with beers, wines, and liquors. We all filed into the gift shop to stand and salivate over the rows and rows of cold German brews. The German girls running the shop had the music of Rammstein blaring. I didn't buy anything but a cup of coffee. Everything was overpriced. I was going to buy Kinder Eggs but they were $2 a piece.

Our next leg of the journey was the nine hour flight to Atlanta. Most of us slept. However, they served ample food. Movies played constantly for those who wanted to watch. I slept or read my book. The flight went surprisingly fast. We landed in Atlanta about 0700 on the morning of the 30th. Here's where I was amazed at efficiency of the R&R operation. We quickly filed off the aircraft and walked down an empty terminal to the waiting passport control. From there we went to a counter and handed in a copy of our leave form. Airline representatives were standing by to check us into our follow-on flights. They were helpful too. I wasn't supposed to fly to Providence until 1500. The Delta rep didn't even ask - he booked me on the next available flight (0940). Within twenty minutes of exiting the R&R flight I was clear of everything and on my way to my gate for the last flight. I went to buy coffee but a pilot from TransAir insisted on paying. I called home to let my ride know my earlier arrival time. I made a pit-stop at the restroom to shit and shave. Both operations were successful (except that I knicked the shit out of myself shaving). By 1000 I was back in the air headed to Providence.

It was a spectacular day for a flight. I got an awesome view of Stone Mountain as we flew around Atlanta headed north. Later in the flight we flew the length of Long Island. As we began our descent the flight attendant started making an announcement. I didn't realize at first but she was saying something on the order of "On behalf of Delta Airlines I wanted to thank our soldier onboard headed home for a much earned R&R." Everyone on the plane cheered. When we pulled into the gate everyone insisted I be allowed off the plane first. Unfortunately, my plane-side checked bag was the last to be brought up so I was still the last to leave the aircraft. By 1300 I was home.

I know all of you are wondering so let me share this. My first beer on R&R? It was a Yuengling Porter. I popped it open around 1700.

No comments: