Saturday, October 27, 2007

26 October 2007: Sunny today, rain tomorrow

Another chapter of the deployment came to a close today. I guess I could say that it symbolized the official end of my R&R. While I was on leave I had a temporary replacement officer up from Kuwait. He’s a friend of mine that I’ve known a number of years and he did an outstanding job covering for me. Now he’s on his way back to Kuwait. I dropped him off at Catfish Air earlier today to begin his journey. He’ll be stopping off at Camp Liberty to pick up the rest of his gear and then on to Kuwait.

In the meantime it’s back to work around here. I’ve got team members heading back out to new missions daily. I’ll be headed south to the Baghdad area in a few days. Once I leave this time I won’t see Balad for at least a month. That’s good. It makes time go by fast. I’d rather be traveling on mission than hanging out here – especially after I learned from Geography Professor Joe that Balad doesn’t count as being in Iraq.

Have any of you been noticing the change in temperatures here? It’s not nearly as hot as it was. Rain is on the way too. That’s right, I said rain. It rains here a lot in the winter. Dust becomes mud. Mud gets tracked. Everything gets sloppy. It’s unavoidable. Right now the skies are clear. I’ll be packing my gortex for my next mission. Rain’s coming.

No comments: