Wednesday, October 31, 2007

30 October 2007: Incoming? I'm trying to exercise here!




I'm on a different pace when I'm in Camp Liberty. I make it a point to keep appointments scheduled for later in the morning. That way I can "ramp up" for the day at my own pace. It's nice. This morning I hit the DFAC around 0730 and loitered over ESPN Sportscenter. About 0915 one of my NCOs came by my hooch and picked me up for our round of meetings. For the next four hours (excluding lunch) I was all over the Victory Base compound. We stopped by Camp Striker to present an NCO a coin and certificate of appreciation. He had taken excellent care of our team while we assisted his brigade. Next we stopped by one of the Multi-National Division HQs so I could hold a planning session with the G4 staff. That went well. Finally we stopped by the brigade we're currently assisting to make sure we were up to date on their needs. All was well. Work was complete by around 1500.

During the course of all this we made a stop at the Cinnabon in the Liberty PX compound. That place stays packed. We had to wait in line outside just to order coffee. Fortunately, the temperatures are much cooler now. While we were at Camp Striker we ate lunch at an old standby - The Commando Cafe. I'm not sure why it's called a cafe. The place is huge. I think it's the biggest DFAC in Iraq. You practically need some park benches to rest at the halfway point. I made the mistake of hitting the taco bar. That would come back to haunt me later.

Once back at my hooch I took a short nap. Then I was off to the MWR gym. It wasn't very crowded so I had my selection of equipment. I was breezing through the weights and was about to grab a treadmill when one of the MWR employees started running around saying something to everyone. He panted up to me and said, "I'm sorry sir but I just got a call on the radio. Everyone needs to get in the bunkers." I thought to myself "I'm trying to exercise here!" However, I complied. We all scurried outside like ants and gathered under the various concrete bunkers. I ended up in the same bunker as the MWR guy. He kept apologizing for interrupting everyone's workouts. I told him to never apologize for doing your job. In the meantime I got to listen to the Joes chatter about all kinds of stuff.

Airborne Josephine was telling the story about her jumps. "I'm so small I never quite clear the aircraft and end up bumping the fuselage on my way out. This one time I hit the door on the way out and lost my kevlar. We never found it."

War story Joe was comparing Camp Liberty to FOB Falcon. "Dude this ain't nothin'. When I wuz at Falcon we got mortared all the time. It wasn't like this. If they sounded the alarm you had about ten seconds to get in the bunker. Then there'd be shit flyin' all over the place."

Rumor Joe was doing his job. "I think I heard that nine rockets hit over near the PX." (Let me point out that he had been in the gym with me so there's no way in hell he had any idea why we were in the bunker)

Witness Joe was arguing with another Witness Joe about another IDF. "There was this girl at the entrance to the DFAC and she got hit by a rocket through the guard shack."
"No man she was in a humvee pulling into the parking lot - I saw it."
"No you're thinking of another IDF. I'm talking about a couple of weeks ago over at division DFAC."
"That's the same one I'm talking about!"
"Dude, whatever. I was there."

All the while I'm just rolling my eyes, biting my lip, and waiting for the all clear. C'mon guys, I want to finish my workout. After about thirty minutes we received the all clear. I never did find out what really happened. I guess I could have gone back and asked Rumor Joe.

Only in Iraq.....

No comments: