Sunday, September 9, 2007

03 September 2007: A junkyard called Camp Taji


Even though the big guns had kept us up all night we had work to do. We were all up and moving by 0700. The rest of the day we ran like a rooster with its head cut off. It was a blur of shipping labels, container inspections, HAZMAT paperwork, and anything else associated with military equipment redeployment. I returned to my room only once during the day. That was just to pick up something. I returned to my room for good at 0100. Get the picture?

Camp Taji is a colorless (unless you consider desert tan a color) place. It was a Republican Guard base before the invasion. There’s a massive collection of rusting tanks, artillery, trucks, and other gear. This was the equipment of what the media always referred to as “The Elite Republican Guards.” They didn’t even fight. Instead they just ran and abandoned all their equipment. I guess that took a special skill too. Would that make them elite? Anyway, back to Taji…. A unique sight here is the presence of a railroad track and rail cars. There are very few railroads in this country. To even see a railroad track is almost a miracle. The line isn’t in use and the few cars are abandoned, derailed, and wrecked.

Camp Taji is also right on the edge of Sunni suburbs to the west of Baghdad. There have been periods of heavy fighting all around. It’s relatively quiet now (VBIED not withstanding). I wouldn’t really say that I’d like to be a permanent party soldier here. However, I can say it’s infinitely nicer than a place like Warhorse. Hell, my billets are on the sight of former Republican Guard officer barracks. We have the nicest community latrine I’ve seen. It has real porcelain toilets that actually flush. The showers work and provide privacy and space. I can’t really complain. Taji just isn’t a pretty place to look at.

Joe does his best to spruce up the place. Give him a can of spray paint and some old Iraqi war junk and he can post messages all day. I guess one Joe spent all his money here and now can’t afford a ticket home. At least that’s what I gather from today’s photo. If I run into the Joe I’ll float him a loan so he can get himself “unstuck” from Iraq.

No comments: