Sunday, September 2, 2007

01 September 2007: Appalachian State? Hot! Army? Not!


College football is definitely back! Thank God for AFN sports. They don’t cover every game but they at least carry games. First, I’d like to congratulate my home boys from Appalachian State for slaying the Michigan dragon in Ann Arbor. That was awesome. The party last night was in Boone, NC. I’m sorry I missed the celebration. AFN didn’t cover that game. Instead, we had to endure the boring Virginia Tech – East Carolina game. The next game was Notre Dame – Georgia Tech. A couple of Captains came into the MWR and started sporting their ND gear. They asked me who I was going to root for and I said Georgia Tech. However, I told them not to worry because I wasn’t staying for the game (it didn’t start until after midnight). I wish I had. GT stomped that ND ass. My final comment on week one of college football is a no-brainer. Army sucks again. Yes my alma mater stunk up the joint again, losing to the Akron “Zips” 22-14. Ouch! Akron? Here’s the life of an Army football fan in a nutshell – you spend all year praying for football season to hurry up and arrive and then after the embarrassment of opening game you pray for the season to hurry up and end (and that the Navy blowout isn’t too bad). By the way, both Navy and AF Academy won their openers big.

Work for today consisted of supervising and inspecting a HAZMAT container. That was an all day process. There is a lot of paperwork involved. The unit kept shitting more HAZMAT as the day wore on. Eventually, we got it completed and my Coast Guard guy put the USCG seal on the door. The battalion movement officer looked like he’d had a major bowel movement by the time we were done. I don’t even have to mention that it was hot outside while we were doing this. Oh wait, I just did – it was hot.

Fortunately, it looks as though we will be able to do some sightseeing after all. My team is quite relieved at that. I’ll just watch them have fun because I’ve seen the Green Zone many a time.

No comments: