Sunday, September 16, 2007

15 September 2007: My most uneventful day in a month

At last I’m starting to recover to the point that I can remember what day of the week it is. Everything had become such a blur from working every day. For the first time in a month my team got to spend a Saturday in Balad on a normal schedule. That, of course, meant we only worked a half-day. This morning we met over at the MWR East for mandatory classes. It happens like that. Our higher command will come down with some training that everyone has to attend. On the agenda for this morning was driving safety followed by a class on financial planning. Just as it sounds, both classes were boring shit. I sat in the back and leaned back against the wall. Most of my team was still in a pseudo-daze. We just wanted the classes to hurry up and end.

During the break between classes we did have some recognition for a job well done. I had submitted three of my team members for “Impact” Army Achievement Medals. Each of them was well-deserved. None of the soldiers (actually, one of my Coasties got one too) knew it was coming so it was a good surprise. It’s always a good thing to reward soldiers for excellent work.

After the classes were complete I released everyone for the weekend. The Major who’s here to cover for me on R&R wanted to get some coffee. The two of us loaded up in the Admiral and drove over to the nearest Green Beans. I guess the financial planning class had stirred our neurons because we proceeded to talk finances over coffee. Mainly, we were talking about cars, buying cars, and the pros and cons of purchasing, leasing, and financing. It’s strange to think that in the middle of this place it was almost as though we were talking over coffee at a Barnes and Noble back home.

After coffee we hit the DFAC for lunch. My next priority was a nap. I let the Major take the Admiral so he could run personal errands. Then I crawled back into my bed for a luxurious Saturday afternoon nap. We’d agreed upon a time to meet back up. Around 1700 he stopped back by to drop the key off. I drove over to the gym for a nice workout. It really was a normal day. No work, no mortars, no rockets, no containers, no anything – just lounging and scrounging.

After workout, chow, and personal time online back at the office I went back to the hooch. I watched college football for a couple of hours. AFN was showing Michigan St. – Pittsburgh, Virginia – North Carolina, and some other game. I simply couldn’t hang for the later games. Keep in mind that the “early” games don’t start here until around 2100. Although Florida – Tennessee was coming on I shut the TV off and called it a night.

It was the most uneventful day I’ve had in a month and I enjoyed myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing by taking a nap! Tennessee got beat up pretty bad by Florida.....again! I just noticed the time and temp over there too.....107.....ouch! It's finally cooling off a bit over here....I'll send some cool air your way! Hope to see you soon.