Monday, September 17, 2007

16 September 2007: Running with the "runs"

What’s in a day off? I doubt I did much of anything that any person reading this entry would find interesting. Today was the first complete day off I’ve had in a month. Since I’ve been fighting the cobwebs of the last mission my first priority was to sleep in. For some reason I couldn’t. I only made it until about 0800. My eyes popped wide open and simply wouldn’t cooperate with me. I got up, made coffee, and lounged about. My hooch isn’t very big so lounging about isn’t like being back home. I either sit on my bed or on a plastic, stackable chair. It’s got one room and I share the bathroom. AFN doesn’t have much in the way of programming on Sunday mornings. The best I could do was catch up on college football scores. I’d call this weekend a mediocre one for NCAAF. It looks like USC will be ranked number one for another week. Army sucks as usual. Navy lost – surprisingly.

As I started to get moving I realized there really was no hurry to do a thing. That’s about the philosophy I pursued for the whole day. Lunch was followed by a fitful nap. I don’t know why it was fitful. I watched some of “Forrest Gump” on AFN Movie. Soon I was off to the gym. I went to the AF H6 so I could use their treadmills (and better AC). Everything was going smooth until halfway into my run. That’s when some kind of “Montezuma’s Revenge” hit me. I had to cut the run short due to a case of the runs. Fortunately, it was a one-time challenge that subsided after the big push. My workout was ruined though.

My big evening event was watching the Titans – Colts game. It was the “early” game on AFN Sports. Let me be blunt – I HATE THE COLTS. I truly believed the Titans would prevail. They came damn close. It seemed as though Vince Young would pull off another miracle. Did anyone watch the game other than me? Every down the Colts ran eight or nine men in the box with a “spy” on Young. Unfortunately, it worked in the end and the game ended 22-20. I don’t even have to say who won. It was midnight by the time the game ended. I went straight to bed.

The Patriots were on too. I would have had to get up at 0400 to watch though. That means I didn’t watch the game. I’d be sure they won though. I’ll bet it was a happy Sunday night at the Ivy Tavern.

No comments: