Monday, September 10, 2007

09 September 2007: Creating a new island in the Pacific


Damn. What time did I get up this morning? I think it was around 1100. I made it to lunch – albeit in a daze. My morning coffee was at 1300. At around 1400 my body realized that it was finally ok to relax. After several straight nights of late nights and work, continually being outside in heat that equates to a crock-pot primed for a roast, and stamping out “fires” that continually flared up everywhere we went my body was, as my Dad would say, as tight as a banjo string. My bowels awoke in this relaxed state. I don’t remember eating all that I unleashed in that poor toilet. It was as though tectonic plates shifted, volcanic activity ensued, and a new island was created in the Pacific. About seven pounds lighter, I finally got moving on my day. It took walking outside to remember that I was now in Camp Liberty.

My first order of business was to find my NCOIC. He’s a Staff Sergeant from Arizona. Somehow he manages to scrounge and find anything we need. I don’t ask. If I tell him something we need he’ll have it by the end of the day. While I was in UNION III and Camp Taji he had made a major score. Instead of the ambulance hummer we are now riding in a brand new Ford Explorer. He’s got the hand receipt and the dispatch. I’m not complaining. I just looked at him and said, “I don’t even want to know.” Styling in our new ride we went to several motor pools in Camps Liberty and Striker to inspect some of the equipment and containers waiting to ship south. I was very pleased to find that the brigade we’re supporting was a lot further along than I was led to believe. We’ll be finishing this mission within days. I’ll actually be happy to get back to Balad. Hell, we’ve been gone for eighteen days straight. It’s been a busy mission.

I managed to hit the gym for a great workout before supper. I was toying the idea of going to the MWR to watch NFL action (remember that Sunday kickoff here for the “early” game is 2100). Instead I decided to stay in the room. I haven’t had privacy for several days so it was an awesome luxury to have it again. I tuned into the games online. I was following the Patriots-Jets and the Titans-Jaguars games. It was a wonderful opening football weekend. The Pats took the Jets out behind the woodshed for a good old-fashioned ass whooping. Meanwhile, the Titans traveled to Jacksonville to gash the Jags for almost 300 rushing yards. Couple this with the fact that Army actually won too (over that powerhouse URI – 14-7 in OT), and it was a perfect football weekend. I simply had to stay up until the early games were over. I was wired so it took at least another hour to finally go to sleep. When it came it was absolutely lights out.

I have been deployed for 185 days. I’ve been without a beer for 188 straight days.

No comments: