Tuesday, September 25, 2007

24 September 2007: Day 200


Damn that was fast! 200 days have blown by. Just think of all the fun I’ve shared over that time. Don’t fret – there are at least another 165 days (minus R&R) of fun and adventure for me to report. My team is just warming up. For all the travel and missions I’ve been on the first 200 days I have at least double coming up. That means I’ll have many chances to discover more Joe latrine philosophy, Squeakers capers, AF shenanigans, indirect fire alerts, helicopter joy rides, and other highlights of life in OIF.

Right now I’m just attempting to close every loose end I’ve presently got unraveling before I go on leave. As soon as I got back from Mosul I was tasked to plan for moving our office to another building. That’s a whole different story that I won’t get into right now. At the same time, I have awards that I need to write for some of my soldiers so they can be submitted for review and approval according to the guidelines provided in our SOP. Oh yeah, we also have more missions starting this week so I’m trying to get the team ready to move out. By the time I leave for R&R I’ll be alone in Balad. Everyone else will be out somewhere doing their job. I’ll go find them when I return from leave.

I’m not certain why the most stressful week I’ve had turns out to be the one in which I go on leave. Oh well, it will make me appreciate that first beer so much more. Everyone seems irritable right now. It’s not my team. The folks we interact with regularly here in Balad just seem agitated. I think it all stems from the move to the new building. I’m just trying to be the diplomat and keep everyone happy. Soon my team will be back out on mission, I’ll be home for a few days, and we’ll all be focused on something other than petty administrative shit. When we have time on our hands the little things suddenly become the big issues.

Days until I drink a Yuengling: 7

Fuckin’ A!

No comments: