Friday, October 26, 2007

25 October 2007: The Deployed Sports Fan

Please bear with me everyone. I'm going through some kind of post-R&R funk right now. It's only intensified by the unusual sleep patterns of the deployed sports fan - and I am one. Before going on leave I was more happy-go-lucky. With R&R looming soon it was fun to work through every day. Now it seems like I'm just focused on coming home. There's no more R&R to look forward to. The good news here is that I've started the home stretch. My next trip home is for good. At least I've got some great sports to keep me fired up.

How about those Red Sox? They're two games up in the World Series. Interestingly, the last time they won the series I was deployed. It's old hat for me to get up around 0400 to watch the games. It's exciting times. Not only that, it's exciting times to be a New England sports fan. The Patriots are kicking ass again, Boston College is ranked number 2 in college football, the Bruins are looking pretty good, and the Celtics seem to be coming back. I'm missing a lot of fun nights at the Ivy this fall. I'm there in spirit. I'm not alone because there are a lot of deployed sports fans. They're not all fans of New England sports. However, you can always tell who was watching the games. By noon they look like zombies and tend to disappear around 1500 back to their hooches.

What's it like to be a deployed sports fan? Try this. Tivo the game. Set your alarm clock for 0345. Get up and watch the entire game. In the late innings (or quarters) get ready for work. Once the game is over go straight to work. Now work a complete day. Although you won't actually be deployed, you'll know the feeling. That's what it takes to be a true fan over here. You'd be amazed at how many of us there are. Sometimes sleep is optional. After all, how often are the Red Sox in the World Series? I better enjoy this while I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fort -

Hey man! It was great seeing you at the reunion and watching Army pull it out their hind quarters to beat Tulane. It was one of the most amazing finishes I've ever seen.

I've enjoyed reading your blog - it brings back of lots memories from my days over there many,many moons ago. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Regarding the Army-Navy game. I totally agree with your logic on why Navy SHOULD win. And you know I am huge fan of the 'bone/option O. That said, I think Army upsets Navy this year. Just a hunch, but I think Army is ready and will have some confidence going into the game. We'll see.

BTW: BC's miraculous win over Va Tech last night sucked for us Va boys.

Later bud - stay safe.

Scott (Andrews)