Thursday, October 25, 2007

21 October 2007: Oh Yeah,Oil Mud


Oil mud is back in force. I walked over to drop off some laundry and the shit practically ruined my running shoes. Fortunately, I was able to hose them off before the muck took permanent hold. Oil mud is everywhere in Taji. It’s only compounded by these trucks that drive around spraying water (I guess in an attempt to keep down dust). Joes are tracking in mud everywhere here. You’ll find boot scrapers outside the DFAC, the PX, and just about every other public building. I try to think of a positive spin for Taji but nothing comes to mind. This place is ugly, dirty, and depressing.

I woke up around 0700 and went to breakfast. When I got back I woke up my team. We then walked over to the office we’re sharing. Our intent was to get back to work. Nobody was there. I guess everyone decided to take Sunday morning off but failed to tell us. It turned out to be a good thing. We all had a chance to check e-mail and make personal phone calls. It was the first call I’d made home since getting back from R&R. That’s about the story of the day.

Everyone seems to be walking around in a daze here. I think it’s because we’re working with Joes who’ve been deployed for fifteen months. Old timers would call it a “thousand meter stare.”

No comments: