Thursday, March 29, 2007

28 March 2007: C17 - The Cadillac of Air Mobility

Hello Friends! I do apologize for my tardiness in this post. I've returned to LSA Anaconda. My team and I got back late on the 28th. We flew out of BIAP and arrived at almost midnite. Our flight was supposed to be a C130, which is a turboprop airplane of 1950's vintage. Don't get me wrong, the Hercules (C130) is a true workhorse that has soldiered on for many years. It isn't the most comfortable plane to ride on though. You have to sit on cargo net seats packed in with pallets of whatever else. The plane is noisy and if you have to use the toilet it requires you to move to the back of the plane, fold out an apron that blocks everyone else's view, and then do your business to the rythmic swaying and bucking of the aircraft. God help you if you need to do number 2. So at this point you must be thinking what does a C17 have to do with this? I'll tell you. We ended up making the trip on a C17, which is a big, beautiful, modern, jet transport. Instead of cargo nets we get padded fold-down seats with plenty of elbow room. The inside is gleaming and spacious. The bathroom is just like one you'd find on a jetliner. It's literally the Cadillac of Air Mobility. It was a happy occasion for all of us when they announced the change of airframes for our flight. The flight from BIAP back to Anaconda? Smooth - lasting all of 17 minutes.

My team will return to Camp Striker in a few weeks. The soldiers we assisted were extremely grateful for the training we provided. We were presented with Certificates of Appreciation in a nice ceremony. A COA and a $1.75 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks. It did make us feel good about our efforts. In that regard, it was a nice "atta-boy" for all of us - especially the younger soldiers on my team. Some of you are probably wondering what my team does. I'll save that for another blog. It's late and I'm beat. Sorry this post was kinda lame. I'll make up for it.

Later friends!

No comments: