Saturday, March 24, 2007

The pre-deployment training, part 3


20 -31 January 2007, Camp Shelby, MS:

Greetings to all! Some of you are just now getting added to the list. If you want my first two updates just give me a shout and I'll forward them to you. Ok, on with it.... Yes it's Fort again and I apologize for the delay since my last update. It's actually been rather busy around here. I just got back from a five day field exercise (I'll describe later). Computer access has been limited. I know you won't believe me when I say this but I'll have better e-mail access once in Iraq. Let me start by saying that I hope everyone is doing well.

Camp Shelby continues to live up to its reputation as a veritable paradise. Since my last update my unit has trained on identifying IEDs, reacting to IEDs, mounted combat patrols, land navigation, combatives, etc., etc. During the past five days we drove out in a bunch of Humvees to a simulated FOB (forward operating base). That tent city - surrounded by high berms and concertina wire - became our home. While there we did a lot of convoy type operations in both simulated and live fire conditions. All in all, the training was pretty well conducted. The FOB was pretty realistic too except that there was no food court, internet cafe, PX, phone center, rug shop, bling bling shop, etc. I mean that too because in Iraq all those comforts are provided. Not in Camp Shelby though... It was pretty damn cold too. Walking in flip-flops on gravel to the shower tent when it's 25 degrees out is an interesting event. I have a stubbed toe to prove it.

So what's on the agenda now? I'm really not certain. General order 1 (shelby style) will dictate that no alcohol can be consumed for the Super Bowl. I know the Ivy crowd will be happy to hear that my Super Bowl will be a unit party with hot dogs, chips, cokes, and a single 27" TV hooked up to rabbit ears. Holy shit I'm so excited about the prospect that I almost have spontaneous bowl movements when I think of it. Now if I can just figure out who to root for. I expect to be here for another 3-4 weeks in case anyone is wondering.

Alright I'm not going to bore you all any more. It just hasn't been that exciting here (if you can imagine). We did have my official promotion ceremony and I've attached a photo. In perfect Army fashion it was held in pre-dawn darkness. Hmmm... I guess that's about it for now. Snookers crowd - how about letting me know how the contest turned out ok? Stay tuned. I certainly miss everyone. More to follow. Next time you tip a beer remember me.

Days without a beer: 17

Later all!

No comments: