Friday, March 30, 2007

29 March 2007: Day in Life Anaconda Style

If I'm in Anaconda it means I'm not out on mission. That means I have a little more time to lay back and enjoy the good life. Today started out with a bang (literally) when we had a pretty intense IDF (indirect fire) attack. I guess the bad guys didn't want us to miss breakfast - the most important meal of the day. I just laid in bed and listened to the whole thing. The sound of the C-RAM (Counter-Rocket, Artillery, Mortar) system is rythym to the ears. It's a radar-controlled gatlin gun that puts a wall of lead in the air. Hell I don't need any alarm clock here. Thanks insurgents!

So the day was slack. Having returned late the night before I gave the rest of the team off. I went to our morning training brief at the battalion and then I proceeded with a day of recovery from mission. That meant, basically, going back to bed for a while. However being the officer in charge of my team meant that I had to get some work done (behind the scenes stuff like writing up my after action review of the mission to Camp Striker). I made it to the gym to work up a sweat and voila! It's the end of another day. But not quite..... There was another activity that called my attention. I stopped by the Air Force MWR (Morale Wellfare Recreation) center to see what type of entertainment was in store. Ah! Karaoke night! What's wrong with today's AF? Every singer in the line-up was belting out some slow, sappy, lovefest shit that was peeling paint off the walls. I had to make one of two choices - puke my guts out or shake things up. I chose the latter. First I got up and sang "Longview" by Greenday (replete with F-bombs). Then I electrified the previously catatonic crowd with "TNT" by AC/DC. The DJ was so excited he asked me to enter the upcoming "Balad Idol" contest. You see - even in the middle of all this there's fun to be had. Now, if I could just have a beer.... Yuengling perhaps.

So that was the day. I hope you figured out that it wasn't a typical day.

No comments: