Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pre-deployment training, part 4

1 - 13 February 2007, Camp Shelby, MS:

Greetings All!

Yes it's time for me to update all of you. I'm sure you've all been holding your collective breath wondering what's going on. Actually, if you fit that category I'd recommend you pick up a hobby or something. I know it has been more than a week but, to be fair, I have been rather busy until now. The good news is that as of this past Sunday we have completed the 1st Army directed training. That means no more waking up at 0400, putting on all my body armor and rolling out to the woods. From now on the unit will be conducting internal training that's designed to sharpen the skills we're expected to bring to the table to complete our mission. So 28 straight days of generic pre-deployment training is over. Basically, I've gone through ROTC advanced camp but this time I WAS the cadet. The past week and a half we learned basic operations of a tactical operations center (TOC), setting up an entry control point, base defense operations, counter-IED patrolling, individual movement techniques (yes, we all had to do buddy teams of high crawl, low crawl, and 3-5 sec rushes), first aid, donning the chemical protective clothing, and (best for last) we went into the tear gas chamber for a healthy dose of CS. Attached is a photo of some of my comrades and me in the chamber. I'm the 3rd guy from the right. If you are wondering what in the hell we're doing just hold on - I'll explain. In the Army you don't just go in the chamber and walk out. Instead you go in and wait for the gas to get REAL strong. Then you do things like the side-straddle hop, push-ups, running in place to get your heart rate up before you unmask for a good wiff of tear gas. Only then do you exit. So that's us doing the side-straddle hop in our protective masks. The sterno-stove looking canister in the forefront is the CS gas dispenser. Don't you all wish you could do this?

Just because we're done with the hard core training doesn't mean there isn't any more excitement around here. This morning we were rousted out of bed at 0430 by a tornado warning. A severe weather system came through and a tornado actually formed in the same county. What did I do? I got dressed and walked to the mess hall. Hey as long as I'm up I'm going to get some coffee and breakfast. After all, we're not near any trailer parks here so there was nothing to worry about.

Yesterday the officers and senior NCOs of our unit were treated to a terriffic talk by LTG Russel Honore (1st Army Commander). All of you are familiar with him. He's the Army general that basically got the Hurricane Katrina relief effort moving (I don't mean that facetiously either). The man would be elected mayor of New Orleans in a landslide if he were running. He's a straight-talking, no-nonsense cajun that I would not want to cross. Also at his talk were the commanding general of the Afghanistan Army and the Chief of the Afghan National Police. He had a variety of quotes that I loved. My favorite was at the end. He said "I carry a big'ol sack of whoop ass and a bag of lollipops everywhere I go. I'm fresh out of lollipops though." His open-door policy included inviting anyone in his organization to e-mail him. Just remember it's Russel with one L.

Some of you may wonder what I've done for recreation. Not much actually, although there have been about three opportunities to go out in Hattiesburg for supper or shopping. Last night a group of us went to Outback (please understand that this isn't Providence). For fun afterward we went to Walmart. Oh my God it just doesn't matter where you go to Walmart, the mullet and camouflage hunting outfits are ALWAYS in style. That isn't gender specific either. Did going off-post mean drinking? Not unless you include unsweetened ice tea and water.

So what's next? Well it appears I'll be here at Camp S-HELL-by (thanks Terry) until around mid-March. Then we finally leave (THANK GOD) and get on with the real business. I'm still headed to Balad, Iraq but fresh info leads me to believe that I'll be spending part of this deployment in Afghanistan as well. Whatever.... That's just what we do and we do it by choice. No matter what your opinion of this war may be I respect it and nothing I ever say in my updates or blog will be to promote one side or the other. I do have one request though. If something were to happen to me on this deployment (IT WON'T SO DON'T WORRY) please DO NOT use my name as fuel for protest pro or con. I do what I do by choice. In my opinion this generation of soldiers, sailers, marines, and airmen are the greatest generation. Why? Because every one of them do what they do by their own free will. They all wear the uniform because they made that decision - not because they were forced. Quite frankly, some of the finest men and women you will find in this entire great nation of ours wear the uniform proudly. I only hope that all of you have the opportunity to meet some of the people I've been honored (and will be honored) to serve with.

That being said, it doesn't mean that what we do doesn't come without hardship. I do miss you all. There will be a big party when this is over. You're all invited and I hope that you all attend.

Holy shit this letter is getting a little long. Time to wrap up - until next time folks!

Days without a beer: 29

No comments: