Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mobilization to Deployment, 16 January - 9 March 2007; part 1

Ok, I'm off to a late start in the blogging business. If you are reading this then welcome - my first, and only, blog. Why am I doing this? That's a worthy question. I just want to express my thoughts and observations of this whole adventure. This will be my third time deploying and in the past I've seen a lot of amazing things, met incredible people, and visiting places very few Americans have been. This time around I want to share. Will you live this vicariously through me? I hope not. Just gain some insight and form your own opinions.

Ground rules - I am extremely apolitical. I'm not taking sides on any issues. This blog isn't to promote anyone's cause. There will be no activist fodder here. Sarcastic humor? you bet! You can't be a soldier without it.

Since I'm playing catch-up, the easiest way for me to get you up to speed on what's transpired so far is to post the series of e-mail news updates(sans photos) I've been sending out weekly to friends and family. Once I get a little more comfortable with this I hope to add some pics and videos. For now read on. Assume you are a friend of mine. If you're taking the time to read this then I consider you a friend. Welcome and enjoy.

Here's the first of my past news updates. It harkens back to reporting to beautiful Camp Shelby for training. From 16 January 2007:

Hello All,

I say that knowing full well that I've omitted some names already. My internet access is limited right now but I'm slowly getting the distribution list complete. If you hadn't figured it out yet this is Fort. Ok, so I've made it to Camp Shelby, MS. It's either the armpit of the Army or the garden spot of Mississippi (take your pick). I'll be here for a month of pre-deployment training then it's on to Iraq. This will be the first of many updates that I hope you will all enjoy. Likewise I hope that you will all drop me an occassional line to let me know what's up with you. Once I arrive in Iraq I intend to begin a blog that I hope to update daily. You'll all get the goods on where to find it. The past week was a lot of fun and I thank all of you for the various sendoffs. For those of you who came to my party - just wait till I come back! Surely we can do better than 5am! I will miss the entire Snookers crowd, the crew and regulars from Ivy Tavern, and the rest of you who I'm just plain happy to know. Drink one for me often and stay tuned. I've got some good shit coming your way. Say tuned and stay in touch!!

Go Pats!

No comments: