Saturday, March 24, 2007

Stuck in Anaconda, waiting for a mission...

Ok, this isn't Apocalypse Now. I just like the reference. Actually, I am awaiting my first mission. My teams are ready and we really will be getting very busy in just a few days. That's why I'm taking advantage of this opportunity to send out my latest update. I've mentioned before that my teams will be assisting brigade-sized units with their redeployment home. We'll be the first point of contact for the warfighters and will make it much easier and efficient for them to move their gear to the ports in Kuwait. Basically, my teams are the tip of the spear for redeployment. These guys won't be coming to us for help - we go to them. That means I'll probably visit every FOB (do I need to define that term again anyone?) in Iraq. Anaconda is just the base of our operation. Now back to the reference to Apocalypse Now - our first mission is upcoming. Due to operational security, I won't tell you anything about where I'm going. You'll get the generic "this is where I've been" stuff.

Now Anaconda isn't a bad place to be as far as a war zone. I know I told you some about the place. Did I mention that there's a Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Subway, and a Popeye's? Hell there's more fast food restaurants than you'll find in all of Providence. Speaking of, all my peeps back in RI will be happy to know that I'm still an "East Sider". That's right - Anaconda is divided into LSAA East and LSAA West. Most of the Air Force pukes(just kidding Hoz) live on the West Side. So even thousands of miles away I'm still on the East Side. I haven't found the LSAA Ivy Tavern though. Plenty of opportunity here Dave - think about it. When you drive around this place you realize that most of the streets are Monopoly names. It is an interesting place. There's a mortar attack about 3-4 times a day. Nobody reacts though because they are so inaccurate and normally hit outside the wire.

Some of you may be wondering how the morale is holding up. To put it plainly, morale is sky-high. With all the gloom you hear in the news back home it may be hard for some of you to believe that. However, folks here are doing their jobs and enjoying a comradeship that people who've never worn a uniform have a hard time understanding. Another thing to keep in mind is that our military is all volunteer. Yeah, morale isn't an issue whatsoever. Last night I saw "300" at the LSAA theater. The place was packed to capacity. I wasn't overly moved by the movie. However it was easy to understand why soldiers, marines, airmen, sailors are flocking to see it. The basic premise of why we willingly sacrifice of ourselves is expressed. Comradeship is broken into it's most basic component that represents the building block of teamwork. You count on the person to your left and right - they, in turn, count on you. Now for my critical piece on the movie? Again, I wasn't that overwhelmed. It doesn't even come close to touching on the amazing history surrounding Thermopylae. Anyone who hasn't read history will walk away thinking the Persian king Xerxes was an 8ft tall gay man. I guess the "don't ask, don't tell" policy was first implemented in the Persian army of 450BC. If you haven't seen the movie I'd advise you wait for the DVD. In the meantime, read up on your ancient Spartan history.

Ah Camp Shelby is a distant memory now. I don't miss it at all. Enough for now. I hope all of you are well.

Days without a beer: 15

Later friends

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO ARMY! Congratulations on your newest mode of communication, baby!