Monday, March 26, 2007

SSG Darrell R. Griffin, 13 March 1971 - 21 March 2007

Yesterday after training was complete I stopped by my hooch before heading over to supper. As I left to the DFAC I heard the mournful call of a bagpipe coming from the MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation). "Amazing Grace" guided my path into the MWR area, where I found soldiers gathering for a Fallen Comrade ceremony. Assembled were the troopers of 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. They were there to bid farewell to one of their own, a brother, a leader, a friend. His name was SSG Darrell R. Griffin. He died in combat 21 March 2007. On the stage were the traditional boots, rifle, helmet, and dogtags placed before the U.S. flag and the Army flag with campaign streamers. A photo of SSG Griffin was placed to the right of his boots. I didn't know anyone present but stayed. I listened to the words of his commander and his squad mates and felt the powerful, positive way SSG Griffin had impacted all of them. When he didn't answer the roll call of the First Sergeant a farewell volley was fired followed by taps. At that time every soldier of his unit paid a final, silent tribute to their fallen comrade by approaching the stage in groups of three, saluting in unison, and then moving off in precision. Some say that a real man never cries. I say that's bullshit. A real man sheds tears for his friends, his family. Yesterday I was surrounded by real men. SSG Darrell R. Griffin, I never knew you nor did I ever have the privilege of serving along side you. I sincerely regret that I never did on both counts. God bless you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool blog. Thanks for sharing.

-Stephen