Monday, June 4, 2007

04 June 2007: Sprinting into Monday


Today was unique. The reason is because we had a mission to support another unit without the need to travel. One of the bigger units we support just happens to be here at LSAA. I had my team come into work early before we all headed over to the conference room to set up our presentations. The rest of the morning was spent teaching our standard class set. Normally it takes us at least two days to knock out this type of training. However we finished up with this unit in less than a day. It’s rather technical, but basically it’s because they didn’t require a large portion of our training. I don’t believe in filling in time with unnecessary training so we wrapped up early. Everyone was happy.

Earlier in the morning I awoke to find the Red Sox-Yankees game finishing up. I wish I hadn’t watched. In the last two innings I saw that bush-league asshole A-rod hit a homerun. Then the meat of the Sox lineup failed to deliver in the bottom of the ninth. It took me most of the day to shake the foul mood. I know the Sox are having a super year so far but any time they lose to that NY team it sucks. I guess this was the “low-light” of the day.

As the day was winding down I made my usual trip to the gym. The AC has been out for a few days so they’re relying on fans. It is almost unbearable to do cardio inside or out. I pick the lesser of the two evils and run on the treadmill indoors. When I’m finished I’m so drenched I could pass for having jumped in the pool. I’m courteous though – I always thoroughly wipe down the machines when I’m done. Gym etiquette applies even when deployed. Unfortunately, most Joes don’t abide by that rule. The result is weight plates randomly placed on racks, sweaty equipment, and attachments never returned to their proper place. The TCNs who work there fight a losing battle daily. I try to do my part but I’m extremely outnumbered.

After starting the week at a sprint my team will be back in slow motion tomorrow. We’ve still got a ways before getting busy again. I’m encouraging them to take advantage of the lull to take their 4-day passes. The standard 4-day pass program allows the soldiers to travel to Qatar and stay on the AF base. There they can participate in a host of MWR activities, drink beer, and travel off-post to western-style restaurants like Chili’s, Outback, and Applebees. Qatar is one of the countries whose major industry is tourism so there are lots of resorts, night clubs, and shopping opportunities. Drinking is allowed as well. I’ll wait until some other time to take my 4-day pass.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam,

Whoa, not at all a fan of A-Rod... he'd getting hammered by the press from all angles, this strip club thing and his acquaintence on the cover of the NY Post, that was in the radio commentary for days, the Post's standard for moving papers is the headline, 'headless woman found in topless bar' this photo was close.

Not heading to summer camp this year, got a pass to finish two summer courses.

Be in touch.

Tony

Unknown said...

Sam,

whoa, not a fan of A-Rod at all, that's what I like about you we know your position. The press is hammering him from all angles, others in the press are saying don't throw stones if you've ever entered a s. club. The photo of his acquaintance is on the front page of NY Post a week or so ago was a was classic.

Anyway, didn't head off to LDAC this summer, got a pass to finish a few summer courses.

Be in touch..nice job on this blog.

Tony