Wednesday, June 6, 2007

05 June 2007: Don't buy Chinese pick-up trucks!


After starting the week at a blistering pace we slowed to a crawl today. All the external training we had scheduled was accomplished by the end of the day on Monday. I had planned for the training to continue into today but there was no need. So my team got a breather. I had some soldiers up from Kuwait who were supposed to stay through Wednesday. Since I didn’t have anything for them to do I let them schedule a flight back and leave a day early. There’s simply no sense in making people wait or making up something bogus to fill the schedule. For the most part my team pursued personal matters.

I need to clarify a few things about my NTV. Previously I reported it as a Nissan Admiral. That’s incorrect. It’s actually a Chinese-built vehicle. The thing is as crudely constructed as a pick-up can be. The interior is literally falling apart around me. There are only 600km on the odometer! So far one of the AC adjustable nozzles came out of the console, the lid of the center armrest compartment came right off the hinges, the glove compartment door warped to the point you can reach inside even when closed, and the AC fan control only works on occasion. Although the truck has a 4-cylinder engine it drinks fuel with a vengeance. I have to fill up every 100km. Bottom line? It’s a piece of shit. I don’t think it will make the next year without falling apart. I’m afraid to ask how much the contract is for the Army to lease the thing. I’d be certain the price would make Avis very envious.

Another day came and went in a very uneventful fashion. I think it was a Tuesday. I will take this occasion to send congratulations to friends of mine back home. Congratulations to Rob and Leslie on the birth of Curtis! Congratulations to John and Meghan on the birth of Ella! Welcome to the incredible journey of parenthood! God bless!

No comments: