Friday, June 29, 2007

29 June 2007: Bryan Adams in Arabic

After the W&M debacle of yesterday I was determined to catch the manager today. I drove straight over to the west side after breakfast. Success! He was in. At first he turned on my AC and said “it is working.” It took a few minutes and several turns of the AC fan switch for him to realize the fan was out – not the AC. He still had a baffled look on his face. I shut the doors and we sat there for a few minutes with the AC on. Without the fan the AC was quickly overwhelmed by the heat. Suddenly the light bulb came on and he realized what needed to be repaired. He handed me the keys to his Admiral and told me to come back in two days. He assured me that mine would be repaired by Sunday. His Admiral had cardboard taped over where the rear window used to be (I don’t know why it was busted out). However, the AC fan worked fine. I at least have a fully functional ride now. The only potential glitch is I have no dispatch for the loaner. A dispatch is required to refuel the thing. It’s only got half a tank so my Admiral better be ready by Sunday. Otherwise I could find myself walking. One other thing is the loaner has a radio that only picks up a local Iraqi station. While I was driving back to east LSAA I experienced an extremely goofy few minutes. Across the airwaves came an Arabic version of a Bryan Adams song. It was the theme song from that shitty Robin Hood movie starring Kevin Costner. The song was better in Arabic – at least an improvement anyways. Bryan Adams is one of those people who never should have quit his day job.

That’s about the story of the day. It would be real boring for me to break down everything else I did today. Two words sum it up – command visit. We’re cleaning, rearranging, updating books, and getting presentations ready. There are also several more soldiers coming up from Kuwait to join my team. We’re making sure we have room for them in the office. Get the picture?

The coming week looks to be interesting.

No comments: