Tuesday, June 26, 2007

25 June 2007: Infiltrating H6 Housing


This is going to sound like a record that’s skipping. I had to be at the Liberty Pad for 0100 (that’s 1:00am for civilian types). Talk about déjà vu – it looked like the exact same crowd I’d seen just a few nights ago. There were three angry Marine Colonels trying to get to Fallujah. They kept scowling at everyone. I’m glad I wasn’t on their flight. Unlike the last time I flew out of here, there were no copilots passing out from dehydration. Our flight of Blackhawks arrived early by fifteen minutes. We loaded and left within ten minutes of their arrival. It was a spectacular clear night. The return to Balad was completely uneventful. The only inconvenience was that I was in the “hot seat”. By that I mean the seat subject to the hot exhaust from the engines. Every time we banked slightly the rotor blades would direct the exhaust right into my face. I was a fan of level flight on this trip. We touched down at LSAA at 0330. In a scene reminiscent of a few mornings ago I dropped clothes and IBA randomly as I made a beeline to the bed. I was out cold by 0400.

Thanks to late (or early) return I took the whole morning off. I slept until 0930. I took my sweet time with morning coffee while downloading the photos from the mission. I use those photos for personal record, the blog, and my after action review of the mission. I’d taken some great videos too. Since I can’t access Youtube or any similar venue I can’t share the videos with you. If I can figure out a way to post them I will. Anyway, I didn’t hit the office until around 1330 (1:30pm). Then I only stayed long enough to read my e-mail. I stepped out to run a few errands and then returned a couple hours later. After the close-out meeting I hit the gym. My AF buddies would be amused to know I’ve infiltrated the H6 housing area again. Since the East Side (Sprung) gym still has issues with AC, I’ve started going to the H6 gym. I haven’t ventured back into their MWR though. I do like putting a scowl on my face and prowling the AF gym. Where’s that Chief? Go ahead, say something…. I’m waiting.

All this late night travel is catching up with me. I intended to stop in to see some friends at the East MWR but was just too tired. I couldn’t keep my eyelids awake as I tried to read about the decisive battles around Krinkelt-Rocheroth in December 1944. Here U.S. forces from the 2nd Infantry Division (with assorted other units) blunted the German advance during the opening stages of the “Battle of the Bulge”. This secured the northern flank of the American lines, which allowed the Allies to contain the German advance. Did you notice that my team just completed a mission supporting the 2nd Infantry Division? See a parallel here?

Anyway, I couldn’t keep my eyes open. By 2230 (10:30pm) I was completely out. I’ve got some more late night traveling coming up this week. Any sleep I can get is a good thing.

No comments: