Thursday, June 7, 2007

07 June 2007: What's keeping me busy?

Just because it’s really slow mission-wise doesn’t mean I don’t have anything to do. What are the “moving pieces” that I’m looking at? There are several. On top of my agenda is writing awards and evaluations for three of my team members who are redeploying this summer. Before that statement confuses anyone let me clarify. All three of them volunteered to extend beyond their normal twelve months. Their extensions were for an additional six months so now it’s getting close to time for them to go home. As customary, I’m ensuring that they receive awards for the additional time. They also get a “change of rater” evaluation. So while I have free time I’m making certain to get the paperwork completed. It’s always important to take care of soldiers. Timely awards and evaluations are a way to keep everyone happy.

The next thing on my agenda is getting ready for some change of command briefings that are up-coming. Our command group in Kuwait recently received a new commander. He’ll be paying us a visit at some point and want briefings on every aspect of our operations. This is something you can’t just ad-lib. I’ll have to prepare an entire presentation. It will include powerpoint, handouts, commander’s notebook, and other materials. I also need to be prepared to answer questions.

In the meantime I’ve told my team to take care of personal matters. This includes taking their authorized 4-day passes to Qatar. It’s best to take it when there’s no conflict with missions. Several of my soldiers will head down there this month. It’s a structured R&R setting at the AF base in Qatar. Soldiers can drink, swim, frolic, wear civilian clothes, and go out in town to eat at western-style restaurants. I know I mentioned all this a few days ago. It’s actually just occurring to me that I talked about the 4-day pass program already. Oh well, let this be your trip down redundancy lane. When will I take my 4-day pass? Probably never because it’s a big hassle. There’s a lot of logistics in getting a flight there and back. Most of the stuff soldiers do there I can do here (with the exception of drinking). I may change my mind in a few months. You’ll be the first to know.

I took a day off from the gym. They still haven’t fixed the AC in the facility. It creates a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation where cardio exercise is concerned. It’s way too hot outside to run. Without AC the gym is like a sauna. Doing cardio indoors or out means wiping out your body in a sweat-fest. By the time you finish your body is so drained and dehydrated you have no energy for two or three days. That’s where I am right now. Speaking of recovery, Jacqueline you need to recover quickly! Just think how much better you’ll feel two weeks from now!

No comments: