Tuesday, June 19, 2007

18 June 2007: IDF Attack - for real!

IDF: Indirect Fire - mortars, rockets, artillery (just a reminder before I start)

Around 0615 I was aroused from my slumber by the distant sound of detonations. Since it was rather rythmic, I assumed it was controlled detonations. Just as I was drifting off an announcement came over the LSAA warning speakers, "Alarm Red! Alarm Red! Alarm Red! We are receiving an indirect fire attack. Take cover! Take cover! Take cover!" I can't say I exactly reacted. I didn't get the chance to doze back off though because almost immediately the siren sounded. Now I've heard all this before and it amounted to nothing. Mortar fire is never accurate around here. However this time was different. About fifteen seconds after the alarm there were two successive impacts, "Whump!! whump!!" My trailer shook from the blast concussion. Mortar impacts don't sound anything like the movies. It's a quick detonation followed by a concussion. These rounds were pretty close. I jumped out of bed and looked around. Just then came another "whump! whump! whump!" My trailer shook with each one. The rounds were hitting on both sides. They weren't close enough to be dangerous but they were close enough to make me uncomfortable. Instead of ignoring the threat I made the fifty meter sprint to the nearby bunker. There were about twenty soldiers in various dress present. I joined them in my boxers, t-shirt, and flip-flops. There we waited for the all clear. There were several more impacts. Around 0815 the all-clear was finally given. We all made our way back to our hooches. I finally got my coffee started and got on with my morning routine. Mortar attacks are not part of my normal routine.

Once I got to work the rest of the day proved uneventful. I had a couple of work-related meetings. My e-mail took some time off the clock as well. There weren't any more IDF attacks the rest of the day. With the exception of the morning's excitement, the day proved mundane.

Once evening arrived I had to pack for a trip to Camp Liberty (south of Baghdad in the Victory compound). I was flying with a Major and Captain from my unit for a meeting scheduled for the 20th. We flew courtesy of Catfish Air on a friendly Blackhawk. The departure time was midnight so we met at the terminal at 2315. The area lights outside were attracting a plethora of bugs. Every time the terminal door opened some more flew inside. Bugs were crawling around everywhere. When role call for our flight came I discovered (to my dismay) that my IBA had picked up a hitchhiker. While riding the bus out to the flight line I picked up the scent of a stinkbug. Since it persisted I knew the bug had to be buried inside my body armor. I couldn't find the thing. Once we arrived at the helicopters we had to wait while the flight crew prepped the birds for flight. I kept smelling the fuckin' bug. Just as I was getting real annoyed I felt something on my neck. Reaching up, I realized immediately it was my nemesis. He had crawled out from under the collar of my IBA. I snatched the bugger, threw him on the concrete, and squashed him into oblivion. Mess with me will you? It still was halfway to Baghdad before the smell subsided. I had an awesome view of Big Dipper during the flight down. It was a beautiful night for a flying. It made me miss home.

We arrived at Camp Liberty around 0130. Our ride was waiting. I was in my temporary hooch be 0200. The day started with a bang - literally. Now time to do great things at Camp Liberty.

No comments: