Friday, June 29, 2007

28 June 2007: Hazardous Flying Chunks of Ice

It’s almost July, the temperatures are soaring, and the AC fan is still out on my Admiral. I took a drive back to W&M this morning to get the damn thing fixed. Nobody was there except a TCN who spoke practically no English. I was able to determine that the manager was out until tomorrow. I’d have to come back. So in a very disgruntled state I drove on to the office. If you’ve been keeping a mental map of LSAA it should register that I’m doing a complete loop of the place on the perimeter road every time I make the trek to W&M. That’s a good ways to drive without an AC fan. Oh well… I can see the agricultural fields that surround LSAA when driving the perimeter road. There are a lot of spectacular, tall sunflower plants. I’d take a photo but I never seem to remember to have my camera for these occasions. If I get a picture I’ll post it on this entry.

It was actually a very quiet day. I don’t even recall any IDF attacks. If they happened I didn’t hear the announcement. I think I have an air conditioner curse. Around 1330 I was in the office minding my own business when one of the AC units started making a ton of noise. Just as I looked up at the thing it started spewing ice (more than an ice machine in the DFAC). I had to shut it down before it self-destructed. That meant the rest of the afternoon in the office was uncomfortably warm. I’ll turn the unit back on in the morning to see if it just needed to thaw.

Fortunately, I wasn’t struck by a piece of flying ice debris. That could have been hazardous. There is a reason we get paid extra money for serving in a combat zone. I’m pretty certain that somewhere in the fine print you’ll find “avoidance of hazardous ice chunks emitted from air conditioning units” as one of the justifications

No comments: