Saturday, June 9, 2007

08 June 2007: Controlled Detonations


Following up from yesterday – I completed one of the awards and forwarded it for approval. I also finished my “senior rater” comments for an evaluation of one of the team NCOs. All in all it was a productive day. We had the calm interrupted frequently by controlled detonations. A controlled detonation is conducted by the EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) team when suspicious packages are found, unexploded mortar or rocket rounds are discovered, or weapons caches are destroyed. I don’t know what EOD was blowing up but they got to detonate a lot of explosives. Some of the explosions were quite thunderous. Those explosions were about the only thing that interrupted the calm of a quiet, slow Friday at LSAA.

Several soldiers on the team went to the movie theater to see “Mr. Brooks”. They invited me to come along but I declined. Instead I did the normal workout routine, followed by supper, followed by piddling away time until bed. I had to laugh at the “big news” of Paris Hilton being ordered back to jail. I won’t dwell on that subject though. I am certain you’ve all heard enough. It did make me realize that I hadn’t heard anything about Anna Nicole Smith in a while. Maybe I just haven’t been paying attention.

I am ready to get busy again. Idle time is the worst time of deployment. On one hand makes me start to think too much about home, which makes me feel melancholy. On the other hand it makes my job as OIC more difficult because I have to find things for the team to do. It’s real hard to keep the guys focused when we are sitting around waiting. We’re all ready for the missions.

No comments: