Sunday, March 2, 2008

02 March 2008: Meeting the new, hangin' with the old


I didn't even stop by the office today. After some halfhearted packing this morning, I stopped by the PX for a haircut. My new unit is almost adjacent to the PX. I figured it was a perfect opportunity to stop by and meet some folks. This is the battalion I take command of in June. They are redeploying soon. I say that to dispel any worries to my readers that I'll be returning to Iraq. I won't. Anyway, I stopped by to chat with the outgoing commander and his staff. It was a spontaneous event. They were very happy to see me. I only intended to stay for a few minutes. Three hours later I was still there. I met the XO, S1, S3, and Operations NCO. It was a classic "meet and greet". This might have been my only opportunity to stop by before I go home. It was well worth the effort. I gained a lot of insight. Battalion Command is an opportunity I'm looking forward to.

By the time I left it was 1500. My team was having a cookout. It was just for the outgoing team. I hurried by to let them know I'd be over as soon as I changed into PT uniform. By 1520, the original crew was assembled. The four of us cooked steaks and chicken. We supplemented our feast with fixin's from the DFAC. There was a cooler of fake beer and sodas. I brought my cigars and passed them out. We ate, laughed, smoked cigars, and told stories until well after dark. If I had to go back to the beginning and select my original team all over I wouldn't change a thing. They have performed amazing feats in the past year. My NCOIC has volunteered to extend another year. We all think him to be psycho. His orders are approved. I joke and tell him it's because he intends to "settle down and farm the fertile land along the Tigris when this is all over." The rest of us are ready to go home. Half of the stories we told were the "what's the first thing you intend to do when you get home" type. I'm just thankful to say that we all are going home as whole and healthy as when we arrived. We are all a lot wiser. We'll definitely have stories to tell for many, many years. Every member of my team made a difference.

So long as the weather doesn't interfere, we've got two nights left in Iraq. I've been asked what will become of my blog. Honestly? I haven't decided. I'm open to suggestions though. Any readers have an idea?

No comments: