Thursday, March 20, 2008

18 March 2008: Exactly two weeks ago

Today was the two-week anniversary of my flight from Iraq back to Kuwait. It's amazing to think that it was such a short time ago. Redeployment came fast and furious. I've no complaints.

I stopped by the ROTC office to visit everyone. It just so happened that one of our alums was visiting as well. Scott is a Brown U. graduate. He was our Cadet Battalion CO during his senior year. Now he's fresh off a combat deployment in Iraq as a platoon leader in the 82nd Airborne Division. His performance was stellar. Upon his redeployment he was hand selected for service in one of the Ranger Battalions. My team was responsible for redeploying his Brigade from Iraq last fall. The Army can be a small community. Scott wasn't a UMO. I remember asking around about him when we were operating in his AO (MND-N, COB Speicher). Everyone knew of him but we never crossed paths until now. It was great to catch up.

It was also good to see the old gang at the office. I let them know when I'd be coming back to work. Several of the cadets stopped by the office while I was there. They were fresh off a color guard performance in NYC. All seemed normal. After lunch I parted ways and resumed my routine of recovery and relaxation.

Just over two weeks ago my team and I were talking about food we would eat upon returning home. A unanimous choice was sushi. If any of my team is reading right now you'll be happy to know that I "checked the box" on sushi today. I stopped by my favorite sushi bar and ate a vast array. It was awesome.

No comments: