Monday, March 17, 2008

16 March 2008: Friendships of accountability


Did I mention I had too much to drink last night? I did. Oh well... I made up for it in bed this morning. It was nothing that ibuprofen, water and sleep couldn't fix.

I'm finding myself greatly missing my team. They aren't just my soldiers, they are my friends. Our friendship is different. It's a bond reinforced through countless shared experiences. I'm not going into cliches. Any number of books could be quoted here to speak of the unspoken bond that develops among soldiers in wartime. I'm not interested in a "wax eloquent" competition. I'll sum it up in more simplistic terms. My soldiers and I share a friendship of accountability. We are accountable to one another in unspoken terms. I will always be there for them. They are my family. I know that they would do the same for me. Most people share a friendship of association. This is very different. We know people from the office, the bar, the gym, and other social circles. We don't expect our friends of association to drop what they are doing for us. Often this type of friendship is never more than superficial. That's not a bad thing. For the past year my soldiers and I have learned the importance of implicit trust in one another. Although I am missing them, I am happy they've all made it home. They've earned that. We'll be in touch. They will always have my friendship of accountability.

I renewed my gym membership today. Life is really returning to my agenda. I cooked supper. I love cooking. I made baked sweet potatoes, steamed asparagus, and boneless chicken breast slow-cooked in my own reduction (secret). The meal went very well with chianti. It's the first of many meals I will cook in the coming days, weeks, years....

I can feel tension, stress, and concerns of work past melting away. It feels excellent to be relaxed.

No comments: