Monday, March 3, 2008

03 March 2008: Counting down hours


Barring bad weather, this is my final day that will start and end in Iraq. Speaking of weather, a dust storm blew in this afternoon. The easiest way to predict when I'm going to fly is when the dust storms blow in. I'm a dust storm magnet. The trip to Kuwait isn't by helicopter so it shouldn't be an issue.

I stopped by the office to check e-mail. I cleaned my hooch. This included mopping the floor. It's amazing how much dust had accumulated in the hidden corners. The room is very sparkly now. It's cleaner than I remember it being when I moved in. I'm trying to help my replacement upgrade his current digs. I've left the door open for him to transfer to my room when I depart. It may or may not work. He's one grade lower in rank. If he can't move in then he has agreed to finish the clearing process for me. I've made certain there won't be any cleaning involved if he has to turn the room in. I hope he can keep the room. His current hooch is in the Balad ghetto.

It didn't seem like the last day. I made a mental note of my final lunch in Iraq - grilled cheese sandwich, cucumbers, and vegetable soup. Ditto for supper - cheeseburger, fries, and seedless grapes. Stopping by the KBR port-o-jon, I got one more Chuck Norris fact from Joe. "Chuck Norris played tennis against a wall and won."

My final workout in LSAA was at the AF H6 gym. I ran, did pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups. It was too crowded for anything else. Walking back to the Admiral the claxon alarm sounded, followed by "Incoming, Incoming, Incoming!" I half-heartedly trotted over to a bunker where several AF folks were hunkered down. I stood there in my sweaty PT uniform and waited for the all clear. Fifteen minutes later it hadn't sounded. I noticed people walking about. In defiance I said, "Fuck this!" and proceeded on to my truck. It looked like everyone else did exactly the same thing. When I pulled up to my hooch the all clear announcement came. It demonstrated, once again, the indifference personnel have to the alarm. I figured, "Well at least I got to hear the guy yell incoming one more time."

Now it's down to the final night. There's nothing left to do but wait.

No comments: