Saturday, March 22, 2008

20 March 2008: Signing my OER

OER stands for Officer Evaluation Report. Mine wasn't ready for me to sign prior to me flying back to the U.S. It was my second, and final, evaluation for the deployment. I wasn't worried about the rating. My concern was that everything the Army does now is digital. In order to sign the document I had to log on a computer with my military ID card (Common Access Card - CAC). The computer needed to have the appropriate DA software so I could place my digital signature on the OER. Once I got back home I was afraid I wouldn't have access to either a DA computer or the software I needed. The OER was finally e-mailed to me this week. It was excellent. My mission became finding somewhere to sign it and e-mail back to my deployment chain-of-command.

Ultimately, my search led me back to the ROTC office. They were about to close down for Easter. I got there right on time. After checking several of the computers, I found one that had everything I needed. I signed the OER and e-mailed it back. My last official requirement from the deployment is now complete. There is nothing else necessary for me to do except reflect.

Some excellent news arrived today. Two of the USCG RAID personnel that served on my team were singled out for a very prestigious recognition. MST1 Anthony "Bull" Clark and PS2 Robert "Taco" Mireles were named USCG Atlantic Area Enlisted Person of the Year for Active (Clark) and Reserve (Taco). They will now be considered for USCG-wide EPOY. I couldn't be more proud of both of them. I'm humbled and honored to have had such fine people working for my team. They are the best of the best.

Now it's time to pack for the Easter trip to the parents'.

No comments: