Tuesday, March 18, 2008

17 March 2008: Making my rounds - slowly

Getting adjusted to being home again also entails making my rounds. I wish there was a way to see all my friends at once. That's impossible. Besides, I'm at a self-guided pace for the first time in over a year. I'll take my time. It's cold out too. That puts a damper in the outdoor motivation for now. Regardless, I made my way over to East Ave Cafe. I didn't go in though. Due to St. Patrick's Day, there was a cover charge. While trying to decide on the merits of paying, the sounds of a faux-Irish band hit my ears. Uh... No Thanks! I hit the easy fall-back position - Ivy Tavern. I was glad because I saw my friend Kristin, who was in Turkey teaching English over the time I was deployed. It was great to begin catching up with another friend.

My triumph of the day came in the kitchen. I made an excellent slow-cooked barbecue pork roast. The meal was completed with baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, and chianti. I really love to cook. Having the freedom to do so again is therapeutic. I hope that my team is adjusting as well as I am. I can honestly say that I am practically tension-free at this point. I look at my calender and see no mission on the horizon, no pax terminals, no dust storms, and no bullshit from ignorant souls seeking to abuse the services of my team. I've left that in the hands of others.

Home is the wonderful, safe-haven I remembered it to be. Eventually I will finish making my rounds. There's no hurry.

No comments: