Monday, March 24, 2008

22 March 2008: Nine holes at Grassy Creek


The day dawned bright and warm. There was a moderate breeze that kept the temperature cool enough to have a sweater handy. I was in no hurry to get up. The night before had been an indulgence of food and drink not seen for ages. I had heard a rumor of a possible golf game. Normally we go to Mountain Glen in Newland. MG was closed. Grassy Creek in Spruce Pine was open. I'd never golfed there. Around noon my oldest nephew mentioned a 1430 tee time. I agreed to be the fourth man. I hadn't golfed in almost two years. We loaded up the clubs and beer. Then my two nephews, brother-in-law and I were on our way. Due to the late hour we signed up for only nine holes. That proved to be a wise choice. Then we learned that we couldn't take our glass bottles on the course - so much for the good beer. Fortunately, there was a package store in the same parking lot as the course (the epitome of class). We bought a case of can beer and swapped it out in the coolers. Let the game begin!

We only kept score for the first two holes. A methodical laugh-fest ensued. We had to let four other groups play through. There were some good shots. There were many more bad shots. Occassionally a divot would fly that resembled a hair piece. My net was zero - two balls lost, two balls (not the same ones) found. The breeze from earlier became a stiff wind. As the shadows grew longer, the windchill became more biting. At 1800 we returned the carts. The clubhouse manager looked at us and said, "Ya'll are finally done?" Hey now, fun can't be rushed!

Once we got home my brother-in-law fried a turkey. Damn it was good! There was nothing left but a dry-bone carcass. There's lots of laughter at our table this weekend.

My NCAA tournament predictions are shot to hell. Oh well.... I'm having fun.

No comments: