Tuesday, March 25, 2008

24 March 2008: Completing the cycle


And so, Easter weekend comes to a close. I've completed the cycle. Over a year ago I left Providence on a journey that took me to the other side of the globe (again). It started in Camp Shelby, MS. Then it was on to Iraq for a year of FOB-hopping. One year later I returned to Camp Shelby for demobilization, followed by Providence, and then on to North Carolina for Easter with my family. Today ended with me back in Providence. At last I can turn my thoughts forward to the comforting enjoyments of being home. There are no more FOB Hammers, Warhorses, Falcons, Kalsu, Warriors, Diamondbacks........ Soon time will store them into my brain housing group for permanent storage. My experiences will never be far removed though.

After an excellent breakfast of country ham and buckwheat waffles, the priority was packing for the return journey. A whole procession of wild turkeys came down the mountain to peck at corn-scratch in the back yard. Our crazy cat - Itty Bit - headed outside to "stalk" them. The gobbler flared his feathers in a dazzling show of intimidation. Itty kept his distance. It was a comical scene. In the meantime, the elder cat stayed in. Chopper is the family "Catriarch". He's a fat cat, happy and old. You can normally find him next to my Dad. I gave Chopper a little more loving before time to go.

At 1500 we loaded up and drove back to Tri-Cities Airport. Goodbyes were exchanged. This time they were only temporary. I can't express how good it is to know that there will be no more absolute separation of deployment. I'll be back to see my parents in the next couple of months. Then I'll love on those kitties again.

By 2200 I was back in the hooch on the East Side of Providence. It's a much nicer hooch than my accommodations of the past year. It's home. I had an excellent deployment. I worked with an outstanding team of Army and Coast Guard personnel. I have no regrets. I'm happy to be home again.

1 comment:

Anne McCrady said...

I have a friend, actually a young man who lived with us for a while as a teenager, who is headed to Kuwait this afternoon and probably on to FOB Hammer in a month or so. He is a truck mechanic.

How can I be the best support? What can we expect?