Friday, March 7, 2008

06 March 2008: The Awards Ceremony


The conclusion of every unit's deployment is always marked by an awards ceremony. The event is normally held prior to the flight back to the U.S. The 1190th Deployment Support Brigade (Forward) held its awards ceremony today at Kuwait Naval Base. The event was held inside the chapel. It was short but precise. At last my team would be recognized for the work they had performed. Most of my team spent their entire time in Iraq. Because of that fact, most of the 1190th never saw my team for the entire deployment. We were just names on the daily SITREP. Today we were seen, and recognized, for the enormous contribution we had made. I'm extremely happy to announce that it was a clean sweep. My entire team (Army - both the soldiers who were with me all year or part of the year) received the Bronze Star Medal. I can state unequivocally that every one of them earned their coveted award.

After the ceremony we made a few mug shots. It's almost impossible to believe that the dream team will soon be going our separate ways. There will be no more sleeping in pax terminals, no more incoming mortar rounds, no more sandstorms and no more FOB hopping. Yet we'll always be family for the shared experience. It's impossible to describe the comradeship. I won't go into cliches. However, many years from now we will all look back with pride on our year together. My team moved mountains. We walk away with an unspoken bond that will always live with us.

The remainder of the day paled in comparison to seeing my team receive the BSM. I repacked my bags and mailed off another box. I lost count on how many I've mailed so far. There was a beach party later on for everyone in the unit. I stopped by to shake hands and chat. The night was chilly. The party was more of a "Joe" event. I didn't stay long. It was their night. Real beer may have changed my mind. Oh well, only a few more days to go.....

I also received the Bronze Star Medal. What makes it more special is knowing that my soldiers beamed with pride every bit as much as I do for them. The pride I feel is the cumulative effect of a job well done - a job I could never have done myself. We came as a team, we performed as a team, we were recognized and rewarded as a team. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments: