Monday, March 24, 2008

23 March 2008: Easter at home


For the first time in a few years my entire family was home for Easter. We went to church together to celebrate the birth of Christ. His love is everywhere apparent. The springtime weather epitomized the rebirth. After Easter service we ate a hearty breakfast in the downstairs fellowship hall. By the time we returned home we were all fit for a nap. That's exactly what I did.

Around 1500 I awoke to the sound of NCAA tournament basketball. My uncle was cooking burgers on the grill. We drank a few beers and swapped stories. I took a short walk across part of our property. Then it was time, yet again, to eat.

Almost as soon as supper ended people began leaving for home. My sister and brother-in-law left for Atlanta. Then my sister-in-law and two nephews headed back to Tennessee. The house became quiet. The cats could stretch their legs again. We watched Davidson defeat Georgetown. Then we sat through UNC's destruction of Arkansas. I showed my parents some pictures and videos from my deployment. There were too many to show them all. By 2300 everyone was heading to bed.

I'm happy for such a wonderful weekend. I'm happy to be home. I'm happy in knowing my team is home too. Well... everyone but SSG Turner. Actually, he's at home too. I don't think I could have ordered him out of Iraq. He's still there, taking care of soldiers as usual.

Happy Easter!

No comments: