Wednesday, March 12, 2008

10 March 2008: Demobilization Day 1


Camp Shelby is where all this began. My unit reported here back on 15 January 2007 to mobilize and train for the deployment. It was a suck-ass experience. We were so happy to leave CS when we deployed. Back then it was hard to imagine we would welcome the sight of this place. Our perspective has changed dramatically. Camp Shelby now represents the last step in going home. It's time for our unit to demobilize. Today was the first step.

Medical outprocessing was on the agenda. At 0700 we were all standing tall at the medical processing center. Ironically, another unit was there for mobilization. They were just beginning what we were about to end. We all received the tuberculosis screaning (PPD). Afterward we went to the clinic for audiology. Soldiers must receive a hearing test annually. I'm glad to say my hearing is excellent. I was concerned that all the helicopter flights over the past year may have had a negative impact. Obviously, my earplugs work well. Other medical stops included a dental screening, eye test, and an HIV blood screen. We were done by around 1300.

It was a beautiful day. I went for a run. Then I stopped by the gym - only to find it in just as much disrepair as a year ago. It is extremely ironic that Camp Shelby's gym can't even hold a candle to the gym at FOB Hammer.

Camp Shelby does have an incredible little bar at the "All Ranks Club" (formerly the Officers' Club). The place is called Kilroy's Bunker. It has the distinct feel of a bunker and museum. I've loved the place for years now. I walked over to Kilroy's with a Major in my unit. Thomas and I were the only customers. We ordered burgers. They were awesome. We washed them down with Shiner Blondes (Spoetzel Brewery, Shiner, TX). Ah.... The joys of being back in the states. The beauty of no longer being shackled by the chains of General Order #1.

Demobilization continues.... I still don't know my exact day to fly home.

No comments: