Tuesday, July 3, 2007

02 July 2007: My Personal Army

My team is growing. Over the weekend I had several more personnel arrive. What’s more is that it includes Coast Guard personnel. Now my team is more capable than ever. I have people in place that can even do customs inspections and seal containers for sealift. All that’s left is for us to start applying our skills to the redeploying brigades. It’s still a few weeks out before that happens. However, the month of July will be the busiest month yet. I count four separate missions coming up with more to be scheduled. This is more like it!

Most of today was spent getting my new folks in-processed. That means making sure they have internet accounts, ID badges, proper equipment, and are oriented to LSAA. They all seem happy and eager to get to work. Some of them have already spent a few weeks in Afghanistan gaining valuable experience. My Coast Guard folks really seem motivated and focused. Both of them are former Army NCOs with Iraq deployment experience. I’m starting to feel like the character Odd Ball in the movie “Kelly’s Heroes”. One of his many famous quotes from the movie is “we can fight! We got an Army!”. He was speaking in reference to the odd collection of Army units banded together to go behind enemy lines to rob a bank.

The day also included typical Army “hurry up and wait” stuff. The command visit is cancelled – again. Nobody knows why. I had my briefing ready. It actually came in handy for the new folks. I used what was supposed to be my command briefing as an orientation briefing. It served its purpose quite well.

I had invited the new members of the team to come out to the east MWR after work. However, once we arrived there we were turned away. Apparently, a general had reserved the activity hall for something. Even though it was empty we couldn’t use it – since the general had it reserved it was secured. So there was no fun at the MWR to be had. I promised everyone we’d do it on another night.

I can almost smell those 4th of July barbeques heating up back home. Remember us when you’re tipping back a cold one on Independence Day. It will be just another day around here.

No comments: