Tuesday, July 17, 2007

16 July 2007: Routine Mission


Camp Liberty, Mobile Training Team mission, teaching redeployment.... Does this all sound familiar? It should. If it doesn't then you must be new to my blog. This morning my team taught redeployment to about 30 unit movement officers. They were all from units at Camp Liberty or nearby Camp Striker. Nothing unusual came about. As with every other unit we teach we'll see them again soon. My team is the good guys - the folks that help Joes go home. Everyone is happy to see us. I like that.

Our classes went most of the day. We had a small break for lunch. Around 1630 we called it a wrap. I scurried on over to the gym. Some of my soldiers did the same. There was simply no excitement, nothing crazy to report, and no humorous activities that caught my eye. It was a straight-forward business day for all of us. After supper we all sat outside and joked around. I watched two of my soldiers clean house in spades. I just watched. That was fun enough.

Tomorrow I take part of the team to the Green Zone (International Zone depending on who you talk to). This should be fun. I worked in the GZ/IZ back in 2005. In deployment terms, there's Iraq and then there's the Green Zone. It's kinda like saying there's Louisiana and then there's New Orleans. The guys I selected for this are real excited about going. We won't be going to my old workplace (Saddam's former presidential palace - now U.S. Embassy). Instead we're going to a small area known as Union III. It's a FOB at the former Baath Party HQ palace. You've got all of this to look forward to.

No comments: