Friday, July 27, 2007

26 July 2007: A few things I crave

I’ll be the first to admit that we’re taking a collective breath before the next round of missions. There are still a lot of moving pieces getting shuffled around here. However, I was able to attend the mandatory pool event for the first time in well over a month. Although it was a refreshing dip it did little to mitigate the scorching heat. I covered myself from head to toe in sunscreen and played water volleyball for about forty minutes. Even waist-deep in water it’s too hot to stay outside. What I can’t believe is the number of soldiers who loiter for hours around the pool. They’re darker than tanned leather. If they keep it up their skin texture will be the same as leather. Although some of my soldiers stuck around for a while, I’d had enough and went back to work. At least it's air conditioned there.

Missions are great because they make time go by very quickly. They also keep me from dwelling on some things I crave. Beer is obvious. I mention that all the time. A cold Yuengling, Shiner Bock, or Leffe Blonde would be a welcome addition to any day around here. Something else that would be nice would be a good merlot or pinot noir. The problem with that would be the lack of a good red meat. Although the DFAC has good chow, the consistently tasty food is poultry. Beef is another story. Ah… that leads me to how my mouth waters at the thought of the 22oz “Cowboy” Ribeye at Ruth’s Chris. It’s a bone-in, sizzling piece of perfection (see my wine preference above). But it isn’t just food and spirits I crave. Having the freedom to jump on my bike and ride to Bristol and back on the bike path would be awesome. There’s a Del’s Frozen Lemonade stand right on the path in Warren. That’s a mandatory stop. I wouldn’t mind heading to Newport for a pub crawl. Block Island beckons as well. They’ll all have to wait.

One of the most enjoyable places of quiet solitude I enjoy is the front porch at my parents’ house back in North Carolina. Nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, its combination of peaceful sights, sounds, and smells can’t be topped. No words are necessary.

I’d sit on the steps of my hooch but it’s not quite the same.

No comments: