Sunday, July 29, 2007

29 July 2007: Iraq wins the Asia Cup!

The good news today was really something special. Iraq won the Asia Cup for the first time ever. They beat Saudi Arabia 1-0. This is the same national soccer team that had to endure torture at the hands of the Hussein brothers. Now they’ve done something no Iraqi team has ever done before. It’s a very uniting moment for the nation. Unfortunately, we’re not in position to observe any of the celebrations. I listened to a replay of the game on the radio – in Arabic. Even though I couldn’t understand what the announcer was saying I could follow the action through the enthusiasm of his voice. It was very obvious when the goal was scored because the radio station broke in with celebration music. The irony of all this was that the command reaction at LSAA to all this was to put everyone in Uniform Posture 2 (everyone wears body armor). I guess they thought that Iraqis celebrating would include attacking Balad.

Earlier in the day I stopped by the Public Affairs office. They were filming NFL/NCAA football “shout-outs” for anyone who wanted to stop by. I couldn’t resist the opportunity. I made a short take for the Patriots and friends back in Providence. I can’t say for certain when it will air. What I was told is that prior to every game the network affiliate (regional or national) will show a few of the “shout-outs” from deployed service members. Mine could air before any of the Patriots games. I hope everyone gets to see the clip.

Not much else to say about my Sunday. I did take a nap. It was blistering hot outside. I ate Popeye’s chicken for supper because I didn’t feel like putting on my body armor just to go to the DFAC. It was much easier for me to drive to the food court for a quick strike. Then I just ate back in my hooch.

No comments: