Sunday, July 15, 2007

14 July 2007: Farewell to one of my best NCOs


You can tell from the headline that today was a melancholy affair. With mixed emotions we held a "farewell" ceremony for my longest tenured Staff Sergeant. He was here when I arrived, having elected to extend another six months. His decision to stay was such a blessing because it provided the only continuity I had to learn the role and missions of the team. His extended time is up. When his accrued leave is factored in it's time for him to go. Unfortunately, I only had the time he extended to consider for awards so I submitted him for an Army Commendation Medal (he had already received another award for the initial year he was deployed). It was approved just in time. I presented this to him. I also had a surprise. I had special ordered an embroidered guidon to thank him for his efforts. It was just a small token of the appreciation my entire team holds for him. He's headed home to San Diego but he may be back soon. It turns out that he applied to go active duty and his packet was approved. Once he transitions from Army Reserve to active duty he could find himself back over here very soon. I'd love to have him return to my team. That won't happen though. Once the big army has him he could go anywhere. From what I've seen he'll kick ass wherever he goes. SSG N epitomizes the professional NCO. He is an outstanding trainer, cares deeply about the well-being of his subordinates, and works extremely well on his own initiative. We've become good friends in the short time we've worked together. He actually worked for a short time for the same Major P that I told you of a few days ago. For the past week or so we've shared many laughs at the mention of a turkey baster. Anyway, so long SSG N. You are the man. You've served well.

Thanks to his attention to training details I've got a very well-prepared team. It will be his legacy.

There wasn't much else to report today. It was clear, hot, and dry. Most of my team is out at Camp Liberty and the rest of us will be joining them soon. I'll be living on the road the next few months.

No comments: