Tuesday, July 24, 2007

23 July 2007: I get "A Case of the Mondays"


Of course I had to look at a calendar to remember that it was, in fact, Monday. From the outset, today was blah. After our morning meeting I received an e-mail from our operations down in Kuwait that had me agitated. It reflected a fundamental misunderstanding of what work we do in Iraq and what remains to be done in Kuwait. As a result, I had to spend the next couple of hours sorting it out. Fortunately, I got everything straight. It had been my intention to ease into this week. We don’t have any missions so my intent was to start the week at an easy pace.

Once I arrived at my office I discovered the e-mail traffic was only just beginning. I started receiving requests for information from various directions. The RFI’s were anything from questions about upcoming missions and inspection requests to personal administrative data. The calm of my office was shattered too. We had three unit movement officers visiting from outlying FOBs for assistance with their equipment shipping software. There were a lot of moving pieces in both physical and electronic form. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the phone rang off the hook. It almost seemed like everyone had been on vacation, returned all at once, and had my team on their number one “to do” list upon getting back to work.

Everyone has seen “Office Space”. If you haven’t then where in the world have you been? It’s only the most classic parody of office routine ever made. Anyway, today I was Peter Gibbons and I had a case of the Mondays. Fortunately, in my world I’m also the boss so there’s no Lundberg hanging over my head. I have noticed there is a lack of staplers in my office though.

The end state of my Monday was that every project came to a successful conclusion. The UMO’s all had their software problems fixed. All the questions that came across my desk were answered. Everyone was happy. At the end of my Monday I put in a good workout, ate chow, and stopped by the east MWR. I couldn’t hang though. I was too exhausted. By 2200 I was out. Even in Iraq we have the occasional hectic Monday. Today’s actually fell on a Monday.

Someone told me later in the day that LSAA had gone into “Alarm Red” for a while due to a concentrated mortar attack. Hell, I hadn’t even noticed.

No comments: