Sunday, July 22, 2007

21 July 2007: Fascinated by The Essex


Apparently, some readers of my blog thought yesterday’s photo was a joke. I can assure you it wasn’t. The sign is posted at the U.S. Embassy palace pool in the Green Zone. In order to complete the picture, today’s photo is the “pool rules” sign. The two signs are beside one another next to the pool clubhouse. The new DFAC sits on grounds adjacent to the pool and patrons exiting the facility have to walk right past both signs on their way back to the embassy. I can’t remember if these two signs were present back in 2005. However, I can assure you that the pool was a favorite gathering place for late night parties.

After spending a couple of days in Union III it seems a bit surreal to be back at LSAA. Although Anaconda gets mortared a lot it’s actually a veritable paradise where Iraq is concerned. Soldiers never stay more than two per room (unless they are in transient housing). All the billets are container housing units that are specifically designed for their purpose. Many of the housing neighborhoods have internet access in the rooms. All of the CHUs have cable TV hook-ups with AFN programming. Depending on rank, the CHU may also have its own bathroom and shower (mine is an example). When soldiers are off, they have a first-run movie theater, an indoor and outdoor pool, three separate gyms and MWR facilities, two PX’s, four separate DFACs, and various other facilities. Soldiers from outlying FOBs make up excuses to bring convoys into LSAA just so they can spend time enjoying the facilities. Last night I met a Captain who is assigned to one of the MiTTs (Military Training Teams). These teams are embedded with Iraqi forces, where they provide direct training and feedback during the execution of actual combat operations. The U.S. personnel on MiTTs live, eat, and sleep with the Iraqi forces. The Captain I met said jokingly, “I’m on R&R at Anaconda.” The reality was that his comment was true. I shook his hand and thanked him for doing what he does. Very few Joes endure the hardships seen by the MiTT personnel. We’ve got it real easy at LSAA. I’m glad I only stay here for short stretches between missions. Otherwise I’d lose sight of the big picture – I’m here to serve the warfighters. I can only do so by going to them.

Today was Saturday. I sent my team home after lunch and told them I didn’t want to see them until Monday morning. Around 1430 I called it a weekend too. I intended to immediately take an afternoon nap. Instead, I found myself watching a fascinating show about the whaling ship Essex. This early 19th Century whaler out of Nantucket became the basis of Herman Melville’s classic Moby Dick. The Essex foundered deep in the Pacific after being attacked by a giant whale. The crew of twenty then faced three months of dehydration, hunger, delirium, and even cannibalism. Only eight survived to tell the tale. I never knew.

No comments: