Tuesday, January 1, 2008

01 January 2008: Hello 2008!

Once again, I will buck my normal practice of posting the day after. New Year's is simply too important. Happy New Year from Camp Liberty! There were actually a few signs indicating some effort to celebrate. They were subtle.

I awoke in time for early breakfast. I got back to my room in time to see the ball drop in Times Square. That's 0800 here. AFN sports also showed the live broadcast of some guy breaking the world record motorcycle jumping record. Then I set about the task of completing the final touches on my team's awards. I took about another hour out of the morning to observe another HAZMAT inspection.

At lunchtime, I found the DFAC staff was in the New Year spirit. All the TCN's were wearing pointy party hats. They were serving Welch's sparkling grape juice to whoever wanted to pretend it was champagne. A couple of the TCN's were traversing the mess hall and randomly blowing plastic party horns. Most of the Joes ignored this. It was goofy though. Since it was random, every horn blast caused someone to jump.

I stopped at the engineer's orderly room after lunch. I had to borrow one of their computers to digitally sign the awards. I wished everyone a happy new year. The Sergeant Major was practically demanding that every Joe walking into the orderly room had to say happy new year. I said it on my own accord. Everyone seemed relatively happy.

A few hours later those same engineers were gearing up again. It may be New Year's Day but there's still work to do here. Instead of watching football, eating black-eyed peas, and spending a day with family, these Joes were going outside the wire to perform their dangerous mission. As I watched them gear up I couldn't help but be proud of all of them. They were laughing, joking, and feeling alright. Yeah they bad, they're nationwide.

I hope ZZ Top doesn't mind me borrowing a line of lyrics. Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sam!

I am such a schmuck. I had every intention of getting off my lazy civilian back-side and sending you a care package of some type for the holidays. I didn't. No excuse sir!

What can we send you or your troops? I would LOVE to have my daughters help put something together (cookies? mags? razors? pictures of santa?) in the mail for you. They are young, but not too young to start learning that "freedom ain't free."

Please advise sir.

All my best bud - keep up the great work with the blog.

Scott Andrews
Raleigh, NC
(I'm on your email list)