Wednesday, January 23, 2008

21 January 2008: Hammer time!


I know. The subject for today sounds corny. I couldn't resist. I'm referring to FOB Hammer. That's where my team was off to today. It's a rather spartan place located twenty or thirty miles east of Baghdad. A year ago there wasn't anything here except dirt, blown up buildings, and some worn out roads. Now there's a FOB that is continuing to expand. The dirt remains.

My team flew out of BIAP. Our showtime wasn't until 1245. It was a spectacular day for flying. We took off on time and had an uneventful flight. For my team this is uncharted territory. None of us have ever been to FOB Hammer before. The place looks like any other FOB from the air. There is no runway, so everything coming in and out of the place is either on helicopter or ground convoy. Our Blackhawks whipped up a hurricane of dust as they landed. We had to wait a few minutes for the dust to settle before we could exit the aircraft. Our ride was waiting so there was no delay. Everything was dry as a bone but there were ominous indicators of what could be in the future. The NTV (a Ford Explorer) was caked with huge chunks of mud. The same storm that brought snow to Baghdad a few days ago had turned Hammer into a complete quagmire. We immediately knew to start praying for fair weather for our entire stay.

My billet was adjacent to the Mayor's Cell. It was only "VIP" in name. The place was a tent with bunk beds, no linens or pillows, and a few wall lockers. The bathroom and shower were inside the building that housed the Mayor's Cell. The team was billeted within walking distance (everything is walking distance at Hammer) in some transient tents. They were closer to the PX, gym, internet cafe, and DFAC. Since we weren't due to provide our training until the next day, I gave everyone the rest of the day to take care of personal matters. Mainly that means sleep, eat, workout, or use the internet. There isn't much else to do around here.

After supper I waited in line to use a computer at the "Hammer Jammer". That's the name of the internet cafe here. Around 2130, I walked back to my tent. While I was walking the ground suddenly shook, a flash brightened the sky, and a rocket streaked into the distance with a mighty "whoosh". There was an MLRS (Multiple Launch Rocket System) firing its deadly payload. It provided a most spectacular sight. The rockets continued to launch about once every five minutes. As I approached my tent, I noticed a Joe working night shift at the MC standing outside for a smoke. He was watching the MLRS. I said, "MLRS is quite a sight isn't it?" He responded, "Yes Sir! I love hearing those things going off. Every time I hear one I know someone at the other end is getting fucked up!" I laughed and agreed. Only Joe can sum it up like that.

No comments: