Friday, January 11, 2008

10 January 2008: Back to Camp Liberty - again

My showtime for my return flight was 0630. It was very cold - below freezing. I got up early enough for a to-go plate from the DFAC. Once at the pax terminal, I checked in and munched on a breakfast of bacon, cinnamon roll, and OJ. The two Coast Guardsmen were already there. They had their black fleece jackets on. After a few minutes, the roll call took place. We were then given the standard flight briefing from the KBR guy. He was very adamant that people couldn't wear fleece on the aircraft. I wasn't wearing mine, but at least half the passengers were. There were a lot of dismayed faces as people took off their fleece jackets. A short bus ride later and we were at our awaiting C130. Wouldn't you know it? Several of the flight crew were wearing fleece. I thought to myself, "what difference does it make wearing fleece or not? If the plane were to crash we're all toast regardless." The AF crew members who were wearing fleece never took theirs off. None of the passengers ever put theirs back on. We all just froze our collective asses off as we sat inside the airplane cargo bay waiting for the aircraft to start up. It was the coldest I've been in this country. The wait wasn't long but it seemed like hours.

About 0900, we taxied down the runway and took off. The heater kicked in and finally warmed us back up. It was a short flight. We were landing at BIAP by 0930. Our ride was there so within minutes we were whisked off back to Camp Liberty. I was back in my hooch by 1015. I had coffee ready by 1025.

We conducted a couple of HAZMAT inspections after lunch. Then we were finished for the day. It was a good thing too. The clouds had thickened. A light drizzle began to fall. The real Iraqi winter seems to have finally arrived. It's going to get real ugly around here now. Given the choice between Iraqi summers with dust and winters with rain, I'll take the summers. I think I speak for all Joes when I say the worst weather to endure is when you have to be cold and wet. "General Mud" is about to make a return.

No comments: