Friday, January 18, 2008

17 January 2008: BOG says 50 to go!

50 days to go! Ok, it's not a completely accurate measure of the days remaining. It's pretty damn close though. I began my BOG exactly 315 days ago. I am quite pleased at the thought of seeing home again. Yes, it's been a good deployment. However, no deployment tops being home. I reminded my team of the dwindling number of days remaining.

Celebrations will have to wait until later. I still have work to do. Today I completed the AAR for the mission we just completed at FOB Falcon. Another mission is looming large so it was necessary for me to complete the risk assessment and mission plan. Those documents accompany me on every mission. The risk assessment outlines all the major risks that we face on every mission (like indirect fire, hostile enemy action, etc.). I then outline the steps taken to mitigate each into an acceptable overall mission risk. The mission plan outlines everything we're doing and contains all the crucial components of mission success. It's a reminder guide for me to use in ensuring we do everything we set out to do.

Hot damn, 50 days! I'm ready to go home.

No comments: