Wednesday, January 23, 2008

22 January 2008: FOB Hammer - day 2


I forgot to mention that FOB Hammer has an excellent DFAC. It only has one but it's very good. An interesting phenomenon here is that the smaller the FOB the better the DFAC. This place has loads of fresh fruit, the food preparation is done with better care. Everyone agrees that if there is bright spot to Hammer it's the chow. On that subject, yesterday was MLK birthday. Once again, the DFAC turned in a cliche performance. This one is right up there with FOB Kalsu and the tee pee at Thanksgiving. This time is involves the menu for MLK day supper. They served fried chicken, ribs, collard greens, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, cabbage, corn bread and watermelon. Does anyone see the ironic cliche within? At least the food was delicious.

Day 2 at FOB Hammer meant my team was busy teaching our classes. We must've had 60 or more Unit Movement Officers crammed in the chapel. There were musical instruments everywhere so I had to provide the disclaimer that our training was not a song and dance routine. Everything proceeded normal and the training was well received. Later in the afternoon, we went outside for some hands-on training on container inspections. It was another spectacular day.

Later on I was walking back to my billet and noticed the Iraqi bazaar shops along the way. I was amused that one of the places was named "The Ossus", which I assumed was supposed to say The Oasis. There were a number of misspellings on the sign. I promptly snapped a photo. Then I saw a trash bin dedicated to scrap metal. However, the stenciling was also incorrect. It read "SCARP METEL" on all four sides. Maybe it was dedicated to scarp metel? If so, I have no idea what scarp metel is.

I spent the rest of the day cruising the gym, eating chow, and visiting the Hammer Jammer. HJ was packed and I had to wait for quite some time. Everyone waiting had to stand outside and shiver in the cold until called. I struck up a conversation with some Joes about the Super Bowl. They both believed the Giants would win. I didn't offer commentary, other than to say I thought it would be a good game. They both confided they were Giants fans. That figures.

Something very foreboding happened while I was on the internet. Clouds rolled in. It was a very dark walk back to my tent.

1 comment:

Mary said...

hi, ihad some questions about fobhammer. I'm going to begoing there in the spring some time. I'm sure there is only so muchyou are willing to put out over the internet, but are there tents or those little trailors? Islept in tents last time and my husband is deplying with me this time and i'd like to know we'll be able to be together or not. (hard to do if we'll be in tents!) Thankyou Norvahgirl@hotmail.com